Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Adventures Continue

We decided to head somewhere warm, you know, Utah is cold and Arizona is warm. Well we found more snow in Arizona than in Utah, though it wasn't terribly cold so that was something. We drove south to Orderville (by Zions National Park) and happily being in a motorhome were able to just stop there and stay in a parking lot. We'd wanted to get a few hours away and on our way down the road which led us to the very small town. It was dark and we didn't really want to look hard for a place to stay so we pulled into a parking lot behind a bank and relished the fact that we had everything we needed at our disposal. We were able to sleep well and get up early the next morning to continue the adventure!

We ended up in the Grand Canyon. Chris, Dallas and Alex had never been there and it has been decades since I've been there. It is such an amazing, beautiful place, like no other in the world! It was fabulous. Still cold and some snow on the ground but mostly muddy. We stayed in the RV park which had more people than we thought there would be. Being plugged in was very nice but the RV park was difficult with Jack. He woke me up a few times in the night to go outside and the last time while it was still dark he disappeared. Freaked me out! I walked all over the park trying to call him very quietly and couldn't find him. I was so cold and couldn't really call out for him because it was dark and I'd let my dog outside without a leash which is against the rules. I looked for him about an hour as the sun rose. That would have been beautiful I'm sure if I wasn't so worried that my dog was gone or getting attacked. At one point it sounded like I could hear a bunch of coyotes attacking something. It was very stressful!


That day we finished seeing all the viewpoints of the Grand Canyon and then headed up to Lake Powell. We found a fabulous spot at Wahweap Marina campground close to the beach. It was beautiful! I'd never stopped at Lake Powell before and have never really closely seen any of that lake so I was very happy to spend a couple hours there. It also was quite a bit warmer that evening. There was a couple from Germany camped in a spot next to us that had rented an RV for 3 weeks and were touring America. They were very interesting for the few minutes that we visited but then we separated to eat our respective dinners.
And then we drove on home the next morning after watching the sun come up over Lake Powell. What a sight. What an adventure! We had such a great time.















No comments:

Post a Comment